MDS and MDSworker
Hi all I recently ran into an issue with my Mac. My battery life went from the original 6-7 Hours down to 1.5 Hours, as you can imagine this was not ideal, I noticed my CPU was being used at 100+ percent, and MDS and MDSWorker Process just burning it up… So after a lot of Googling I found that it was Spotlight Search causing the issues Anytime I disabled Spotlight Indexing CPU went to 0% reenabled jump back to 100+% even after letting it sit for a few days. So I started playing around… It appeared according to forums and blogs that Spotlight was stuck on something, and most of the time people said it was time machine, so I disabled local snapshots, nothing. Disabled Time Machine entirely, still high CPU. So then I set the privacy settings in Spotlight to exclude /library/Backblaze and what do you know, CPU dropped to 0%. SO the point of this post is, most likely you have some application installed that has a Locked file that is causing the MDS & MDSworker process to go nuts, in my case it was BackBlaze’s Database… So every case maybe different but cause will most likely be the same. A locked file… Anyways hopes this helps.